The purpose of this research was to conduct an independent assessment of StarChase, a pursuit management technology that tags and tracks a fleeing vehicle. The study found that implementation and use of StarChase varied among the end-user agencies. End users’ opinion of StarChase is that it is a helpful pursuit management tool, but that it is not a comprehensive solution for avoiding or successfully resolving all possible pursuit scenarios.
The findings from this research drive five recommendations for law enforcement agencies:
- Establish data requirements and expectations for end-users prior to providing funding;
- Examine the technology’s capabilities and policy implications prior to deployment;
- Allow for a temporary or phased approach and evaluation period;
- Evaluate for performance, lifecycle costs, operational conditions, and policy implications;
- Establish metrics and collect data for impact assessment comparisons before and after the technology has been integrated and deployed.