The past week saw things get started off a little quicker than in the past. We provided testimony in opposing the original HB2289 (relating to DUI administrative hearings) but supporting the Judicial Council recommendations. Those recommendations provide access to the police reports for a person facing an administrative DUI hearing and preserves any challenge for the constitutionality of the police contact leading to the arrest for an appeals court. The troubling provisions of opening the administrative hearings up to constitutionality of the stop, the reliability of the testing equipment; and elimination of administrative sanctions for DUI related events emanating from check lanes or other situations without a prior crime occurring are all removed in the Judicial Council recommendations. We will know next week if the committee adopts the full Judicial Council recommendations.
2016 LEGISLATIVE SESSION INFORMATION
NOTE ABOUT COMMENTS:
I prefer you restrict comments to statements of support/opposition, or questions about the bill or topic and suggestions for amendments or testimony. Remember that comments, if approved, will appear on the webpage and will be visible to everyone.
You may e-mail me privately at this link.
- Whats New
- About This Website
- Sign Up For E-mail Notifications
- Memorial Page
- Ed's Editorials
- Special Notices
- Operational Information/Data
- General Information
- LE News
- Line Officers
- Legal Information
- Court Decision Warnings and Links
- Attorney General Opinions
- Kansas Register
- Federal Laws
- 2017 Session
- Juvenile Justice Reform
- KPERS Topics
- Concealed Carry
- Human Trafficking Resources
- Marijuana Legalization
- Official State Statute Website (NOTE: DOES NOT HAVE 2016 Amendments Included
- Best Link for Traffic and Criminal Code with 2016 Amendments - Kansas Cop Law
- Law Enforcement Job Opportunities: A page maintained by the Kansas Peace Officers Association.
- Training Opportunites Statewide: Link to KLETC Training Listings
- On-Line Training Opportunities
- Community Relations